Monday, February 6, 2012

Oh Mastitis!

It's official, I have Mastitis. Mastitis is an infection in the boobies that women can get while breastfeeding/pumping. My doctor explained to me that it usually happens when you get a plugged milk duct and an infection builds up behind it. 

The reason I was concerned that "something" was wrong was because this past Saturday through Tuesday I had a fever ranging from 100°F all the way up to 104°F. I had the chills and sweats and my body ached. Also pumping was overly painful those few days. On Friday, I had my 6 week postpartum check up with Dr. Brandes, so I mentioned all this to her and she said it's mastitis. Luckily, she was able to prescribe antibiotics for it and said hopefully in a week all should be back to normal. Besides the antibiotics, she said breastfeeding and pumping through the infection will help clear it out of my system faster (and she reassured me that I don't need to worry about infecting the baby). 

I'm about halfway through my antibiotics, and my fever is completely gone now for a couple of days. I still hurt quite a bit but hopefully in the last few days of this antibiotic that will go away too. 

Oh mastitis I hope I never get you again!

3 comments:

  1. NOOOOOO!! I had mastitis several times & eventually had to give up breastfeeding because of it. My story is very uncommon though & it sounds like you will hopefully be back to new in no time! I hope you never get it again! It's the worst!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bummer! I had it in one boob {post to come later; I'm so behind in blogging} . It does get better... Sucky thing for me, that boob won't even pump half an ounce. When I had Jaedyn latched on, it helped a little, but he hates that boob.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh goodness! I'm so sorry you had to go through that. I'm glad it's slowly getting better :)

    ReplyDelete