Friday, January 6, 2012

Baby Language

I saw this video today and it really intrigued me. It is a great video regarding babies and their language they are using to communicate with moms/dads to tell them what they need before they get to that loud hysterical cry. Apparently there are 5 key sounds or words babies are using to express their specific needs.
"Neh"      means "I'm hungry"
"Owh"     means "I'm sleepy"
"Heh"      means "I'm uncomfortable" (change positions or needing a diaper change)
"Eair"      means "I have lower gas" (legs will also tend to be pushed out while making this sound)
"Eh"        means "I need to burp"

According to this video, the key is to pay attention to the sounds the baby is making prior to the big cry. Once he/she starts to really cry it's harder to hear what they are asking for. Today I'm gonna try this theory out and try to really pay attention to Ellery's sounds prior to crying to see if I can get her exactly what she needs and not just run through the list of things it "could be" trying everything till she is happy again.

2 comments:

  1. This is an awesome video! I recognize a few of the sounds so hopefully it'll help with meeting Jill's needs. Hope it helped you with Ellery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i wish i would have heard of this when Brynn was littler! so interesting.

    ReplyDelete